5.2.11

I Love You to the Stars!

We had a joint Earth and Stars birthday party for Lauren and Jacob last Saturday.  Lauren told everyone that she had to share her party with Jacob because he doesn't have any friends of his own.  It made me so sad.  I think perhaps I need to join a "MOPs" group right away!  Anyway, we had a great afternoon with all our friends.  The kids were so much fun.  They were also very busy and very loud exuberant.

My neighbor Hiedi and I put together this star mobile.  Even though the party is over, I don't want to take it down.  When the air comes on in the house, the mobile spins and flutters and twirls.  The kids and I all get a big kick out of it.  Our friend Amanda helped me make the constellation sign in the back.  The lights are actually in constellation form although you may not be able to tell.  Again, I don't want to take it down either.  It's fun watching TV at night by "star"light. 
 
 
Inspired by Miniature Rhino, I made gift bags for all of the kids and embroidered the constellations on the front.  We had Orion, Taurus, Andromeda, Perseus, Cygnus, Canis Major, Ursa Major, Hercules, and Pegasus.  I found some vintage constellation illustrations from the book "Urania's Mirror" and attached those to the drawstring.  We placed a personalized stargazing chart inside each bag along with some hot cocoa and marshmallows to keep them warm while they're checking out the heavens.  I found some giant roasting marshmallows and my friend Courtney used a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut a star out of the center of each.  My kids had fun with this as they kept sneaking the star leftovers.




Each of the wee ones also received another little gift in their bag; glittered star bobby pins for the girls...
And gloves for the guys with stars stenciled on the palms.

 

I made a little picture for the front door using wood, chalkboard paint, wooden stars, and craft rings.



For crafts, the kids painted the stars on small canvases.

 
They also painted Earth balls.





While half of the kids were inside painting, my brave friend Courtney was busy outside making terrariums with the rest.

I had planned to make t-shirts for everyone and had put together two designs: an Earth for the boys and a star for the girls.  Unfortunately, my printer couldn't get them done and so at the last minute (literally at 3:30, the party started at 4:00) I printed out two pictures of Einstein and stitched them to Jacob's and Lauren's shirts.  Definitely not the best sewing job ever but I was standing up to do it as my chair was already downstairs at the craft table!  Hahaha.   Do you see the gash on Jake's nose?  The day before we were almost positive he had broken his nose.  He was spinning in the living room and fell into the ledge around the fireplace.  It began to bleed and immediately bruised and swelled up, puffier on the left.  The next morning we woke up and he looked like this.  Babies are amazingly resilient!  I'm so happy he's okay!

Miss Caroline was shimmering in her dress.  She told her mom she needed to wear stars to the party.  So cute!

Lauren and her best buddy, Maycee.
 

We headed in for some astronomy inspired history and food.  We had Kepler Kebabs, Fizeau Fries, Newton Nuggets, and Copernicus Cheese-n- Macs.


We also had Ptolemy Pizza Bites and Halley's Fruit Comets.


Some Hubble Ham and Galileo Granary Bread...
 

A little Albert's Apple Juice to wash things down...


And some veggie big dippers to finish it off.

I never knew you could fit so many kids around one table. The table is made for four but we managed to squeeze in ten!
 
These guys were cracking me....and themselves up.  Jacob may have been the baby of the group but he did or tried to do everything they did.

It was apparently a pretty funny afternoon!


Jacob was chowing on the fruit skewers.  I was surprised at how well the kids ate them!


I was just waiting for the juice to come out of their noses.


And this one....don't get me started on this little star.  I just want to run away with him.  Hiedi's legs are longer than mine though and I don't think I could get very far before she caught me.


Our sweet friend and my babysitting lifesaver Amanda.




It was finally cake time.  This one was chocolate with a raspberry filling. I made the toppers with wooden stars, skewers and sequins on a string.


Our babies.  It's hard to believe they're now 6 and 2.  It's also hard to believe that the little one on the far left will be 8 come May.  It's going by too quickly.



After the cake we headed outside to do a little stargazing.  The weather had been a little foggy lately so I was surprised that we managed to see at least one star.  In case of fog, I had ordered some sky lanterns so we would be assured of some twinkling night lights.


I love, love, love the idea of sky lanterns but I was very worried about starting a fire.  I googled it and although they're not illegal in CA, you can still spend up to a year in jail for reckless burning.  Plus it wouldn't be very neighborly to burn down a friend's house or field.  So, I lit them and tied them off.  I think it would be amazing to see hundreds released somewhere.  As it was we only lit two before the rain started and we were done for the evening.


It is tied off here.  I just photoshopped it so you couldn't see the string going through Lauren's hair (shhh!).



Happy, Happy Birthday to our two little ones! (These were the pictures on the invitations.)




 

I just have to say how much I appreciate my husband and dear friends.  Doug has told me I have a tendency to pull everyone around me into my party mania.  He may be right.  I'm so thankful to be surrounded by so many wonderful people; people who string 1,000s of lights in the trees out back, people who come over and help me make and hang a mobile while 6 kids run screaming through the house; people who help me make a constellation sign; people who hang the sign and help me replace strands of lights, people who help make the food; people who organize craft tables, set up food and create terrariums.  Thank you, sweet friends and amazing husband.  I love you, guys.  To me, you are the true stars!

UPDATE:  Goodness!  My little star mobile has been pinned several times and I know some of you are wondering just how it was made.  I used a star punch and scrapbook paper to make the stars.  Then I used my sewing machine and just sewed the stars  together in strings and tied them onto metal craft rings,  like this one here: Metal craft ring.  I purchased my rings at Jo-Ann's.  I don't remember the exact sizes but one was larger than the other.  It was super easy!  Here is a different shot of the mobile so you can see the top.   I used fishing line on the top ring  and then attached it to the ceiling with small white nails.  Hope this helps!
 
 

28 comments:

colleen banman said...

wow! what a fantastic party! so unique and beautiful!

my younger kids don't have their own friends either...their friends are my older kids' siblings:)

I love all the stars, the famous food, every little detail. so well done!

p.s. the last two photos are gorgeous!

Tracy C. said...

This is AMAZING! Everything about this party is incredible. You are so creative and talented. Love, love, love these photos!!!

xoxo,
Tracy

curlyqmosaics said...

What an amazing birthday party! I can tell by the photos it was absolutely magical!

Nana on Clements Hill said...

Baby it all turned out awesome. You done one super job on everything. Do you have any invitations left Nana would like to have a copy. Love you pictures are lovely looked like a fun party. Mom

Anonymous said...

We need to NAME you "Party Planner of The Year". Each time I think - She will never out do this party BUT you prove me wrong every time...This looks like so much fun and educational too.
Daddy and I are so very proud of you. I am so glad that you have such good friends to help.
Love, Elaine & Daddy

Trish said...

I love it!! All the details are just perfect. Your hard work paid off- yet another very memorable party! Miss you guys :)

Shelly said...

OH MY AMAZING!!!! What a special party! Your creativity is ENDLESS!

jane said...

you're amazing!! love you party. i was first inspired by your circus party and referenced it in my own blog recently. :)

erika said...

What a lovely party, so stylish!

Kim @ Party Frosting! said...

very lovely! I always love seeing creative activities for the kids and not just a pretty tablesetup! hat's off! LOVING the napkins too!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

Dame said...

Sandy.... your creativity leaves me speechless (wordless). I love all of your pics from the party... looks like everything was amazing... down to the littlest details! (Albert's Apple juice? How do you think of these things??) Love you... miss you!

Maria said...

I love your party Sandra. You are a genious. I want to share Davids one. http://creamomentos.blogspot.com/2011/02/fiesta-cumple-david-tematica-rojo.html
Greetings.

Jillian said...

What an amazing party, I've never seen anything like it ! I'm founder of catchmyparty.com a site that celebrates beautiful parties. I'd love to feature your party on our homepage in our Party of the Day. If you are interested, please email me at jillian @catchmyparty.com. What a magical party! All the best, Jillian

Stacy of KSW said...

oh wow, this is the coolest birthday party I have ever seen!!! I would have given anything to have or go to a party like this as a child

Robyn said...

O MY! You so incredibly ROCKED this party! I love every itty bitty detail! (I SO LOVE DETAILS!) I'm so glad to have found someone who gets as wrapped up into their kids parties as I do! I also have been told (accused! LOL) of pulling everyone into my party tornado! I'm posting my daughters sweet shoppe party on Friday at my blog if you'd like to check it out! ...btw, your children are lovely!

Danielle said...

what a great idea for party!

Simoney said...

WOW, what an amazing party.
I found this tagged on pinterest with your beautiful star mobile; your images are beautiful and I am just so impressed with all the details... and the unique theme.
Would love it if you linked up this wonderful party to my party linky (on my blog; the balloon in the sidebar)
Luv and admiration from Simone @Greatfun4kids

Verity {belle bébés} said...

You inspired belle bébés today with this fantastic party! http://bit.ly/sLkQEi
Please take a badge :) http://bit.ly/qmHf0t

angie said...

wondering how the star mobile was made. it's beautiful. the picture of it is pinned everywhere on pinterest, but it took forever to find your blog... the oringinal post!!!

Tania said...

i love everything about this party. so incredible and well planned.
the photos are gorgeous too. i saw the falling star garland on pinterest and was captivated by your post.

Bubble said...

thank you for the great ideas!

Jackie Apodaca said...

You are so creative! How do you do these things?

Jackie Apodaca said...

I love your site! How do you find time to do all this?

Jessica said...

Oh man, this is awesome! I'm almost 30 & I want to have a birthday party like this!! :) Can't wait to have kids so I can do this. You're incredible!

Lapė said...

Wonderful ideas and photos. And the mood of the event :) Best wishes!

franney said...

I'm another who found this post via your star mobile on Pinterest and i just wanted to leave you a comment to say how wonderful everything looked. Great photos of what ooks and sounds like a great day for everyone. Thankyou for sharing xx

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Love the mobile and the entire party look! What did you attach the mobile to?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
01 09 10